Kale is wonderful. It’s versatile; easily suited for salads, smoothies or dehydrated into ‘chips’. Moreover, kale is one of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet; low in calories but high in the good stuff.
There are many different types of kale including curly kale (the most popular in supermarkets), lacinato kale (also known as dinosaur kale), redbor kale (the prettiest, in my opinion-it’s purple!), red russian kale (the stalks are a beautiful red), and siberian kale (enormous, durable leaves)- to name a few. Many other varieties exist (over 50) and some are flowering- though these tend to be more bitter.
Cool Kale Facts
(feel free to repeat ‘kale yeah!’ after every fact- either silently, or out loud to friends/family/strangers in the coffee shop)
- One cup of kale contains four B vitamins, fiber AND protein- energy, digestion and muscle, check.
- Kale is often said to have a ton of Vitamin A, but it actually contains a ton of an antioxidant, beta-carotene, that your body can turn into Vitamin A
- Vitamin C is abundant in kale; more so than most vegetables
- Anti-cancer ingredients are rampant in kale
- Kale is high in antioxidants which help rid the body of free radicals and counteract damage already done
- Kale doesn’t contain much fat, but the fat that it does contain is mostly omega-3’s
- Copper, magnesium and manganese are found in kale- all are necessary nutrients that are often hard to fit into our diet
- Studies have shown that kale helps to lower cholesterol
- Kale is an anti-inflammatory food
- Sustainability is important to kale. Well, maybe not, but it is a sustainable plant to grow boasting a low environmental impact and a relatively short maturation period (roughly two months from seed to harvest)
Now that you’re armed with information, there’s no reason to not add kale into your regular diet. Here at JuiceRx, our favorite way to enjoy kale is in our hand-crafted kale chips. All of our kale chips are dehydrated at a low temperature to preserve nutrients. These crunchy treats fly off of the shelves at our store front. Flavors include cheesy jalapeno, sour cream and onion, garlic ‘raw’mesan, and our latest and greatest, sesame ginger. Stop by 1414 N Wells St today to get your daily kale intake in the most delicious way possible.