Our seasonal drink, Liquid Love, includes delicious ingredients- meyer lemon, blood orange, honey tangerine- but the star of the show is pomegranate. Pomegranate has a unique flavor profile for a fruit- sweet but a little tangy and super robust. Pomegranates are birthed from small fruit-bearing trees and are technically a berry. They have a leathery pinkish red outer casing with seeds inside. The seeds (called arils) are the part of the fruit that is ingested; Inside of the casing are up to hundreds of edible, delicious seeds. Pomegranate seeds are crunchy, but have a gelatinous feeling outer case. Although originally cultivated in Iran, this fruit now flourishes all over the world, with differing harvest dates between the North and South Hemispheres.
Our Liquid Love is more than just a clever name. Research on pomegranate juice shows it is a packed with antioxidant phytochemicals (20% more potent than green tea) which promote heart health by ridding the body of free radicals and other potentially dangerous toxins.
Other nutritional benefits of pomegranates include:
- Dietary fiber (4 grams per 100 grams of pomegranate seeds)
- A rainbow of vitamins and minerals including but not limited to:
- B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B9
- Vitamin C (45%/serving)
- Vitamin E (great for your skin)
- Vitamin K (32%/serving)
- Potassium (27%/serving)
The benefits of pomegranate juice are even more abundant and include everything listed above as well as:
- Very low in fat but high in readily used energy
- Free of cholesterol
- Regular intake may help coronary plaque build up
- Low in calories, sugar and fat but high in essential nutrients and vitamins
- Pomegranates may help combat prostate cancer, which is the most common type of cancer among men
Pomegranates have been referred to as a super food, and now you can see why. Stop by our store front today located at 1414 N Wells Street in Chicago’s Old Town, or order online now!